Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Should I refuse this interview? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?

I just applied for job online 10 days ago. I have 3 interviews so far. The first two interview failed because I was not ready--My current employement times conflict with the interview times. Well, I will leave my current job in May.





I got a message for future employer for face-to-face interview next week. I am not interested in the position. It is not my in fileds and only pay $30,050. I am living in Washington DC.





I am only 22. I will have a MPA in HR. However, I have no experiences in HR. I have two years offices experience and 4 years working experience.





Should I go to the interview for practice or just say no, Thank You.





P.S. I am really broke and I need a good job after my graduation in May.





Please advice. English is my second language-sorry!Should I refuse this interview? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?
Here is the thing - don't decline an interview. Who knows how the company you are interviewing with or the person you are meeting with may turn out to be helpful in future?





So, never decline an interview, but you surely can decline an offer i.e., if you receive one. It shows class. You can go for an interview; give your best shot; come home write a thank you note, and if an offer comes along - politely decline it. May be the employer will ';hey, I liked you and maybe I can offer you more!'; - who know? Things do happen.





I remember a friend who worked with me (Chase Bank); she gave an interview with an insurance company and then declined it. After a week, she got a call and the insurance company offered her more money + more responsibilities, and guess what? she accepted the position.





Giving interview(s) also enhances your chances to clear other interviews. It is a process - a process, which needs to be mastered. You will learn to give answers, bargain etc. It will certainly boost your confidence - is there is anything you will loose by NOT giving this interview? You will probably gain something...So go ahead - make your day!





Never burn bridges; just make them as you start off your career. Business Networking is an important tool you will learn to use as you career booms! Good luck!





(Now give me my 10! :) )Should I refuse this interview? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?
I think it's a good idea to do interviews for practice...it gives you an idea of what to expect.





A good employer and a reputable employer will schedule an interview around your work and school.
the more interviews you attend the more you can refine your answers and the more at ease you will be hey it cant hurt
You need to be upfront before accepting interviews and do not look upon them as practice, that is terrible and unprofessional. Schedule your interviews around your schedule and if you don't want a job then don;t interview for it, you waste the time of the interviewer and it looks unprofessional.


Your English is fine you need to work on your professionalism and consideration before even thinking about wasting people's time, which is rude as well.


Also, despite what you think about your value and education, you may not walk into a job and salary you think is fair, you always need to start at the bottom and work your way up; you have to earn your salary and you are not in a position to judge that.
Going to interviews, just for practice, is like drowning, just for practice going to the beach. Why bother with something which does not interest you? It wastes YOUR time and the interviewer's time. Also, if you're not really interested, that will show through in the interview, which will make the interviewer wonder why you wasted his time.





On the other hand, if you need a job and there are no other prospects, only you can decide if this job is better than nothing. You can always keep looking and move on to a better job if one becomes available. If DC is too expensive for $30K a year, it's even more expensive for $0K a year.
Stick to your guns and stay in the field you have chosen. Call back and tell them because your plans are such and such. You feel it is in your best interest to go in another direction.
I don't think you should because you don't want to apply for a job you're not interested in otherwise you will hate that job and not give in 100% all the time. The end result will be that you get fired. But that is just my opinion. Good luck!


P.S. Maybe you could teach other's the language that you speak and charge for it,maybe at a school since English is your second language.
I have been to Washington DC and I can tell you that you will not be able to survive on your own on $30,050 a year. You can't even live in Arizona for that kind of money. If you are not interested, don't even bother, because you may end up hating the job so much that you will end up leaving anyway. You never want to take the first job that is offered either, or sound desparate, because if they think you are desparate, they will treat you like garbage.





and honestly, $30,050 a year for a starting salary in HR is not very good. You might want to do some research and find out how much jobs like that are paying out there. But to survive on a single income in DC, you will need to make at least $60,000 to $70,000 a year.





but you do have to like the job you are doing. If you don't, all the money in the world is not going to make a difference

No comments:

Post a Comment